Sunday, November 9, 2008

Wyatt sick

It's always scary when your baby is really sick. Yesterday we spent the day in the clinic. Wyatt was struggling to breathe. Every breath sounded painful. At one point while we were there, he stopped breathing. Sooooo, not a good thing for a mom to experience! We found out it was viral croup. It's like in Anne of Green Gables when she helps Diane's little sister. In this case, they didn't use onion or mustard poultices, but little Wyatt had lung x-rays, a steroid shot and then a breathing treatment. Even the doctor and nurses looked worried, which wasn't very comforting to me. That helped a little but when he still was having trouble, we took him to the ER. My brave little boy did so well. He had more x-rays and the doctor assured us that he was getting better. So now, he is on oral steroids and antibiotic (in case of pneumonia). Through it all Jon was with me and Wyatt was so sweet and good. Despite the fact that he didn't feel well, he was still smiling at people and giving hi-5's upon request. We had a few interesting moments. While Jon was with Wyatt in the x-ray room(I couldn't be in there in case I'm pregnant....no, I'm not.....but just in case), I was waiting alone in our tiny hospital room. There was a girl next to me getting an enema. It was rather disturbing. Later, I was reading Wyatt a pamphlet that I found in the room. I kept thinking in my head, "wow, the people in the pictures look really happy. What is this for?" Um, so I read the whole thing before I discovered it was a drug for enhancing the male you-know-what. Gee, sorry, my 19 month old son. Good thing you won't remember any of this later!
We are home now and Wyatt is doing better. He just sounds like he has a really bad case of laryngitis.
*Update in my shop this weekend and Christmas sale soon!

4 comments:

LeeAnn said...

Poor Wyatt! and poor Mama, what a long day...

As I read your blog I went from a state of "OH NO!" to laughing at your experiences behind the other curtain and reading the pamphlet :) I am really glad that Wyatt is doing better!!

Kelly said...

You sound like you did really well with the whole thing! Croup seems to be going around right now. A little boy at church had it this week as well. I thought my day was stressful with a call to Poison Control!! Praying for handsome Wyatt! Miss you guys a lot!

Unknown said...

Oh, no! I am so happy he is doing better, sweetie!

I vividly remember that scene from Anne of Green Gables...so scary. I am happy he feels better and did so well at the hospital, what a sweetheart :)

Connie said...

Oh, so sorry! I'm so glad that medical science has improved to be able to treat croup better than in the old days. :)