Monday, November 17, 2008

Sqaush triumph!!!!


Ok, so my 20month old son *finally* ate yellow squash tonight. Yeah! I've tried fixing it every way I know how, creamy, cheesy, baked, mashed. He always spits it out. Tonight I "frittered" it and he loved it. He ate 3 fritters, roast beef with ketchup, half an avocado and 5 grapes. It blows me away how much he can pack in there. It's not like I give him a lot to begin with, he just keeps asking for more! We don't fry food much at our house, but if it gets him to eat his yellow veggies, then so be it!
Here is my version of squash fritters. If you're not from the south, this might be a bit new, but it's pretty yummy!

Squash Fritters
1 cup to 1- 1/2 cup. steamed or cooked squash
1 med. onion, chopped small & steamed with squash
1/3 c. flour, all-purpose
1 egg
1 tsp. baking powder
1/3 c. cornmeal
1/2 tsp. salt or more if using more squash
1 tsp. sugar
dash of pepper
dash of garlic powder
1/4 cup grated cheese
Mash sqaush and onions. Mix all together and drop in oil until golden brown. Oil does not have to cover. Makes 20-24 small fritters.

No comments: