Wednesday, July 16, 2008

mad Cow disease and Tolstoy

So, it's almost 3am and I can't sleep. I stayed up reading and now my mind is full of Peruvian jungles, mad cow disease and Shaman spiritualism. I *was* reading Anna Karenina as of a few days ago. I stopped though b/c I got tired of the affairs. Has anyone read that? It's a classic and supposed to be one of the best books ever written. Maybe it is. I must admit Tolstoy knows how to make you feel what the character is feeling......but I really didn't want to feel what the characters were feeling. I may be a goody- too- shoes but I don't like movies or books that celebrate adultery. I know Anna commits suicide in the end so maybe it's not actually promoting it. Maybe it's a warning really, but ya know with *all* that free time I have, I just decided I didn't even want to go there. Instead I went deep into the jungle and learned about proteins and prions. I'll tell Wyatt all about it in the morning. He'll probably be the only 15 month old in East Texas with such a scientific understanding at such an early age.

1 comment:

Julia said...

Have you read Tolstoy's other book, The Brothers Karamazov? I read it a few years ago. It was very good, but I don't remember a whole lot of it. If you like, you're welcome to borrow my copy.